I REFER to the report, ‘Plans for new group to lift standards of housing agents’ (ST, Feb 4), in the face of rising complaints against rogue agents.
Recently, I encountered an agent from a top agency who tried to reduce the sale price of my flat and pressure me into quickly closing the sale.
I made a complaint to the agency. But it replaced the agent only after he had filed successfully, against my wishes, with the HDB for the first appointment.
Many people are using a large portion of their CPF money to buy a roof over their heads. Hence, I urge government agencies to do more to protect HDB flat owners from rogue agents. It should not be left to the industry to self-regulate as this has been unsatisfactory so far.
I suggest the following:
That agents representing sellers cannot represent buyers for the same property , that is, buyers’ agents must be independent of sellers’ agents because of conflict of interest.
That a list of registered agents be maintained as well as a list of barred agents and that no agency is allowed to employ agents who have been debarred to practise under its umbrella.
That HDB conduct workshops to educate flat owners on all the procedures, legal forms and declarations, etc, involved in the sale and purchase of HDB flats.
I hope the relevant authorities can look into these suggestions.
Goh Hock Tee
Source : Straits Times - 6 Feb 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment